Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Stream of consciousness update post...

Hey. You've been warned - this will ramble.

Long time no... well... anything. I'm so out of the loop that I just found a card from Meigan from a month ago wondering where I'd disappeared to. Oops. Sorry, Meigs. I'm alive! I will email you this week!

Remember I posted awhile back about getting over myself? Well, that's generally gone quite well. I sort of burst through the post-baby-blues and suddenly started taking care of all kinds of business. The result is that I've been keeping myself busier than I have in a long time. My house has been clean enough most days that my MOM could come by unannounced and it would be OK. (For those who know my mom, that is saying something). I also am having on-going carpal tunnel issues. If I'm on the computer too long in the evening my hands are so numb and tingly I can hardly sleep, so I haven't been on too much. Should probably see a doc about that someday, but I'm sort of in denial about it.

Today I am the only one in my family not sick. I'm actually not sure if it's a cold or the flu. Pete just has a bad headache. Kate woke up in the middle of the night with a fever and bad cough. Neither of us really slept. Elizabeth woke up from her nap with a fever. I'm going to see what plays out. I'm quite proud of myself, really, because I had a couple of weeks there where I was so freaked about "swine flu" that I was starting to stockpile food. So far, the fevers are mild and they are generally "normal" so I'm just taking it hour by hour, as you do with little ones who are sick. Kate fell asleep on the sofa about a half hour ago. I'm trying to decide whether to try wake her up for a bath (never works) or just let her sleep through til morning, when she'll get up at 5AM.

I've been really busy lately helping plan festivities for my parents upcoming 50th anniversary. We are all taking a trip (all siblings, nieces, nephews) in August and we are also throwing them a party. So far, I'm pretty much doing everything. I'm not at all resentful of that, but I am thrilled we finally got this vacation figured out because it was exhausting me to do all of this research and have my parents change direction with the wind. Now I just have a pit in my stomach about how much it is costing them (they insist on paying for us all, which is absolutely insane). I guess now I can start focusing on their party.

Since I have this trip coming up with my 3 size-4 sisters and 1 size-2 brother's-girlfriend, I have gotten moving again on the weight loss. I lost about 10 lbs. in March, but totally lost steam in April, so now I've got 13 weeks to shed as much as I can. I will still be an elephant compared to my family, but at least I'll hopefully fit in my swimsuit.

Speaking of anniversaries... or NOT having anniversaries... we found out last night that Pete's Dad is getting a divorce. Not a huge surprise - Jim has dropped lots of hints - but it's still kind of big news around here. They had a prenup so hopefully it won't be too protracted. Now we just need to figure out how to explain to Kate why she doesn't have 3 grandmothers anymore. It's not like we're close enough to Marilyn that we'll stay in touch, really. But she has been there Kate's whole life, and I think she will be very sad to not see her anymore. I have no idea what to do on that. Do we tell her upfront? Do we wait for her to ask where Grandma Marilyn is?

Elizabeth is tired of being ignored. Since we're the only ones awake right now I should probably give her some attention. Just wish me luck that tonight I will get some sleep, and avoid this illness myself!

3 comments:

Kate said...

I'm glad you've been successful in the getting over yourself. It's a tricky one - that one. And I've lost 17 pounds swing dancing. NO JOKE. Get a babysitter and make your husband go with you! It's the most fun I've had in ages! And there's all kinds of lessons in the cities.

I'm so glad for the update. I think about you all the time.

Cellomama said...

Thanks, Kate!

I'd love to go swing dancing, but Pete would require some convincing. We're not really much for dancing - we were absolutely pathetic at our wedding. :-(

And BTW - my FB "HE HAW" the other day was about getting my folks to commit to a vacation location. It was a huge relief!

carrster said...

YAY you're back! I've been checking your site every day and missing you!!!!

Glad to hear all the updates! Hope the wee ones are feeling better soon.