Friday, May 15, 2009

John Deere

I mowed the lawn last night. Ahhhhh. I mowed our lawn growing up (and a couple neighbors' for a few summers) and I always enjoyed it. I love tuning out and enjoying the fresh air and smell of the grass. I love the instant gratification. I love singing my heart out and knowing no one can hear me (yes, they can see me, but I try not to think about that). When I was a high-schooler, it was something my dad actually let me do - and thought I was good at it. Taking care of the yard was one of the very few things I was totally entrusted to do. It makes me feel free and young and alive and competent.

Pete's been working a ton lately, so I wanted to do this to try to take something off of him. We're a team, so if his workload is higher, then mine needs to be, too. My goal was to do this so he could spend more time with us on the weekend. Little did I know that I would be transported back 15 years in the first five minutes. I am reclaiming my seat on the John Deere.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Now that you mention it, I do remember you mowing. And mowing. And mowing. And mowing..... It DOES free the mind, doesn't it?

Test said...

This is one of my favorite activites and Pete and I actually 'fight' over who gets to mow the lawn. I give in since he rarely gets to do anything sans Claire during the day :)

But I miss it. Miss the smell, the lines, the gratification, the time outside with nothing to do but mindlessly walk and turn, walk and turn. Ahh...

carrster said...

Good lord. I hate mowing. HATE IT. We're removing most of our "lawn" in favor of gardens & natural grasses because neither one of us likes to mow!

My Father was a LAWN CONTROL FREAK and it was always perfect diagonal lines - so I wasn't allowed to mow. Bummer.

Peder said...

I'm with Carrie on this one.