Saturday, January 5, 2008

Guitar Hero

Well, I think I finally have all the holiday decorations put away and the house back to normal. Whew. I've never seen a tree drop so many needles - 45 minutes of vacuuming, and I'm sure there are still some hiding in there somewhere.

Last night Pete and I took a whirl with his Christmas present from Kate and me - Guitar Hero for our XBOX360. It was pretty fun! It's kind of nice to have an XBOX game where I can hold my own with him, at least. We have played Halo together, but he's so much better than me that I'm mostly just along for the ride. I'm not at all interested in even trying the driving/racing games. I've crashed enough cars in real life so that even crashing an animated one is a bit stressful.

The best part about it is that it's something Pete and I can do together. We've been married for 6 1/2 years now, and it's just too easy for us to spend all our evenings totally engaged in our own things and not really interacting. While I think some level of that is healthy, we should probably be more attentive to spending time together. We've had too many friends divorce in the past few years to take anything for granted (not that I'm at ALL worried about that for us, mind you). So, anyway, it was fun to spend time together.

I have to say, even holding a pretend guitar with 5 buttons is really uncomfortable to a cellist. The hand angle is all off - I cannot get it to feel natural - and sadly, the game has features that would prevent me from just holding the guitar like a cello. My hand is actually sore today (I can relate to Meigan's Wii induced "tennis elbow"). Not so good, since I'm still procrastinating tackling the behemoth that is Ein Heldenleben. Now I just need to make sure I'm not spending my time "practicing" guitar, when I should be really practicing! I have to get my cello-playing in while I can still reach around my belly!

3 comments:

Meigan said...

How funny! I came *this* close to buying Guitar Hero but I think I wanted to own the "musician" title in the family. Knowing how much Kyle plays his Xbox, he'd probably kick my butt in no time. Maybe I'll come over to your house & play yours!

Cellomama said...

I know what you mean - but I guess I still believe that my musical background will eventually give me an edge - once I'm over the learning curve. :-)

It would be fun to do as a girls' night, actually - because it's just sort of a fun, silly thing. So come on over anytime!

carrster said...

I think Guitar Hero sounds like a blast - the dancing game sounds good too but I would have to practice that for HOURS alone before playing with anyone. ha!