Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I am so over myself

Hey, all. Sorry about the self-absorbed maudlin twist to this blog lately - that is, when I could be bothered to write. We've been sick a lot in this house this winter and there has been far too much navel-gazing than is good for me. As Simon Cowell would say, it's total "self-indulgent nonsense" and it's time for it to stop!

For example, what the heck?! about me getting so worked up about some of my neighbors. These are nice women who are just going about their lives. If I am totally honest, I highly doubt they are trying to exclude me. They just aren't worrying about including me. Can I blame them? They are busy moms of lots of kids - I think they have better things to do. And I could certainly make a few moves myself instead of waiting around. Those of you who've known me a long time know that I'm a bit of a homebody and while I like to do things, am rarely a social planner. Time to change that or quit my bitching!

Speaking of Simon Cowell, any other American Idol watchers out there? I enjoy the show, but if Tatiana gets through tonight I may have to boycott until she's gone. I just can't take another minute of her screen time. I think she is a no-talent hack and one of the most annoying people I've ever seen. If she makes it through tonight that screaming you hear will be me....

Oh! I've been reading again! For years now, the only books I've read have been "classics" that I had already read a bunch of times - Jane Austen, Tolkein, Harry Potter, Wheel of Time. Now I do love to re-read books but this was getting excessive. So my one sort of unofficial resolution was to start reading books I'd never read before. If you count fiction and non-fiction, I've read 7 books this year. Some have been good, some not so much. Perhaps some book reports will be forthcoming.

Other exciting news from the homefront - after (counting....counting....) THIRTY-ONE years of playing the cello, I am the proud new owner of a Wenger Cellist Chair. It's a special chair that tilts down a tiny bit in the front to help get a good position for playing. I am very excited. It helps, too, because it's actually quite a bit harder to play with the extra weight I'm carrying right now. My posture is off and all that belly fat pushes the instrument out at a funny angle. So this actually helps that a bit. Now it's time to start practicing more again.

It's time to start doing a lot of stuff again. Exercising, eating right, knitting, sewing, practicing, etc. That "new baby" excuse has worn pretty thin, seeing that she's 8 1/2 months old now! So hopefully I will start doing more. And do Facebook less. And actually have something to blog about!

2 comments:

carrster said...

Fantastic post, Laurie! I think it's really easy to get stuck in a self-downer-rut, but sometimes necessary. It feels good though to take the bull by the horns and start doing stuff and feeling good about it! Good for you!

Kate said...

I tend to hibernate in the winter for sure. Spring makes me feel a little more hopeful about setting goals and moving on. Good for you!